Sunday, June 22, 2008

Records and Number

Blah blah blah guess what I'm going to talk about again? Paragliding!

Its the 23rd of June now and I'm resting for a moment here's a brief recap of the last few days. The 19th my sister and I flew tandem to the Terich Valley after a 2.5 hr flight to 6500m we toured the town with our host Professor Karim Baig. He is very concerned about the lack of health care and is interested for us to learn and to discuss the problem and solutions. On the 20th we hiked 3 hrs to a new launch and flew for 3.5hrs on a tour of Tirich Mir. The 21st I flew tandem with Muzafar who runs a school here in Booni. He's an amazing guy who worked as teacher then decided he could do it better and opened up his own school, 8 years ago he started with his first class of 6 year olds and every year he's added a new class. He's an amazing individual and had been very keen to fly. It was his first flight and we followed the route my sister and I had taken the day before however conditions were much easier and climbs faster. Our max height was 6990 meters possibly a record for tandem flight? He loved the flight often saying, "Thanks be to God" and occassionally singing during the flight. On the 22nd I rode to launch alone with the intention to fly to Hunza expecting it to take 2 days. Conditions were epic and after an early low save I got quite high, 7750 meters high actually. I completed the flight in one long day, 9hrs and 224 km. Landing at the cemetary here in Karimabad I didn't even pack up, just walked to the hotel to see John Silvester and Eddie Colfox and share the experience with them. What an amazing to thing to cover that much ground then be able to take a hot shower and hang out with friends. John and Eddie had just gotten back from China so I got to hear first hand their trip account. The summary? China has so much beauracracy, hassle and paranoia they weren't allowed to explore off the roads and never even got their gliders out of their bags. Pakistan is still the best place to fly and I haven't begun to tap the potential routes as well it's go the supportive friendly locals.

It's been an amazing experience to travel with my sister. In the future I will always try to travel with a woman here in Pakistan because it allows a glimpse into a part of the culture that is off limits to males. Not only have we gotten to share the joy of flying together, 5 long flights all about 3 hrs and all over 6000, one to 6700m, but we've gotten to see a different side of Pakistan as Melissa has been interested in some public health issues here. She has just completed a Master's in Public Health from John Hopkins University and is on her way to do research on a new TB diagnostics technique in Cameroon. This is on top of her PhD in Physical Chemistry. I say this not only to brag but to point out that she asks more interesting questions than I do. So when we visited local Doctors and workers in Health clinics I just stood in the background, took pictures, and learned a lot. One day after a 3 hour flight we were shown around the Hospital in Booni and Melissa was invited to watch a C section being performed. Can you imagine? We've just flown around glaciers at 6400 meters (21,000 feet) and a few hours later Melissa is watching a life being brought into the world while I'm relegated to making small talk eating mulberrys and having tea with a local. What a trip!


That's it for now, I better post this and get to bed because the weather looks good for flying tommorrow and I have to get some sleep. I have to make it back to Booni to say goodbye to everyone before I leave for the US on the 30th of June.

Pictures! Pictures! I'll try to put them up soon don't worry!

10 comments:

Richard Barber said...

Brad,

Inspiring to read, I met you with Eddie and John in Bir, truly in awe of your achievement.

Congratulations, you should be made a fellow of just about every geographical organisation that exists, so that more people can get the chance to be inspired by what you do.

I wish you a safe last few days, please send my best to John and Eddie.

Richard Barber

LeRoY said...

Hello Brad!!!! yes Brad's my friend. I just talked on skype with Scott. I read Your blog and You succeeded giving me tears in my eyes just by this You wrote about your flight/stay in Pakistan and the very nice relation you have with your sister. Or maybe it is that I miss Pakistan a lot as well. Super achievement and very modest. GREAT. Congratulations, I wish I was there to enjoy the flying and nice atmosphere. Many greetings to all my Hunza friends, Eddy and John. If You stay in Amsterdam on Your way back to the US just let me know. Cheers recordholder, LeRoY

Dave Snowden said...

Brad.. Fantastic,, great to read about your amazing pioneering ventures.. Leo, John, Ben, Bob and I were out in Hunza / Skardu back in 04 running up to Rakaposhi for the summit bag. .. truely great that its all still happening and that more and more of Pakistans' flight secrets are being explored.. wish you all the very best of the Big Air on offer and perhaps even Rakapshis' ellusive summit... its only 7865 but thats just a number ..!! Love to all our fine freinds of Hunza...we will be back..!!!. Dave.S.

miki said...

Hi Brad,

I do not often have the chance to read your blog, but whenever I do I am envious of the life you have chosen to lead. It is courageous, adventurous, free-spirited and fun all at the same time. I do hope all is well with you and it seems you are having a great time with Melissa. As I will soon be making a trip with my own sister soon, I would hope to have a similar experience with her. I wish safe travels and stay always the way you are. It is what I always liked about you. Since the first time I met you in Nepal. Alex and I recently met and spoke of you...you have the innocence and wisdom of Pooh...the best combination of characters. My best, Miki

Brad Sander said...

Hey cool to hear from everyone. Dave and Leroy you guys both came up in conversation around the Mullberry hotel while waiting for flyable days. It be fun to try to compile a history of flying in Pakistan and who all has been there. I'm sad to be missing the Shandur polo festival this year but look foreward to more flying in September this year.
Thanks for the comments,
Brad

Colo said...

@gmail.com

Colo said...

Hello Brad: Mis felicitaciones por el vuelo de 249 kilometros en el Himalaya. Mucha suerte en los vuelos venideros y te esperamos en Argentina - El Bolson !!!!. Colo. Cristian.

Colo said...

Mi direccion de correo: colocolo7@gmail.com

Unknown said...

Hello Brad,
Just read the account of your eipc flight to Hunza in Cross Country and "flew" over to your blog for a dose of inspiration.

Thanks again helping me keep the rat-race in the proper perspective it deserves!

Anto - "Parahawker" January 08

Brad Sander said...

Anto,
Thanks cool your keeping in touch. I don't have your email btw please email me directly.