Wednesday, March 14, 2007

Meditation

3-14-2007
I'm sitting in my room in Pokhara Nepal trying to figure out what to say about the last 2 weeks, I think pages could be written without my experience and what I've learned, instead how bout I try to sum in up in a paragraph in my concise hit the main points way? OK, so I spent 10 days in a Vipassana meditation course in Kathmandu, 9 days I didn't speak or make eye contact with the other 70 participants (half men half women, 15 westerners the rest Nepalis). The day started at 4am and ended at 9:30 with over 10 hours of sitting meditation broken by eating and rest periods. Difficult? Yes. Valuable? Yes. What did I learn? Simply the nature of all the problems in my life, but not in an abstract philosophical way but in a very real this is true for me because I can observe it kind of way. First and foremost this technique is not associated with any organized religion, it is the way the Buddha became enlightened but does not promote or disallow any other beliefs. The basic idea is this, 1-Don't Sin 2- Do Good Things 3- Examine Yourself. And in examining myself what did I learn? That my unhappiness is self imposed by either being attached to impermanent pleasant things or having aversion to the same impermanent unpleasant ones. Unwanted things happen in life and wanted things do not happen but by not understanding this reality of life I expect the opposite, I want things to go my way and when they don't I create suffering where it didn't exist before. I hope this is clear. This basic idea is something I believed to be true before but through sitting with eyes closed and using the tools of breath and sensation coupled with observation I came to understand this reality is a much more clear way. If your interested check more about Vipassana at www.dhamma.org

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Damn! gotta get me some of that. funny thing about epiphenies...they're epiphenies only for the people who have them. good luck in applying this realization in your day to day life, 'on-the-spot'...now that's mindfulness!

i've printed out info. on a 10-day course in dharamsala aug. 15-26. i really just need to commit to this idea and make moves on a flight. be well and stay safe brad.

Dave said...

Your description reminds me of the same course I took last year in Jaipur. Got some of the same insights, but my intended follow up has not occurred (how's that for using the passive voice to avoid responsibility; it's a gift). Your posting gives me incentive to get back to the practice. Thanks.

Brad Sander said...

Michael, sign up I'll do another course with you on those dates, it would be a good way to start our travels. About being relevant to the person having the experience I was actually thinking of writing the post with reference to the Beatles song lyrics "Your telling all those lies, about the good things that we can have if we close our eyes" I think maybe Mcartney wrote the lines in response to George Harrison's medition experiences in Rishikesh and trying to share those experiences with his friends. It is an experience for the one who has it and everyones else will be theirs. Make the plane ticket dude!

Dad,
Followup is a bitch, I've been getting up early not drinking and trying to be present in my life but the mind is so strong to pull us away from what will bring an end to our suffering. Always the same if we are not using it we lose it. Good Luck and may we both have strength to practice and in this way improve the world.

Brad