Monday, June 16, 2008

One of those flights


I would like to write about a lot of things that have happened in May and June. I just haven't been able to, I can barely respond to direct emails but it's not for lack of time it's more that I enjoy spending my time in other ways, with the people I'm with now, doing the activities I'm doing or simply relaxing.

What needs to be shared is the flight I was able to experience the other day. Launching before 11am from Tirich Ann here in Booni on the 9th of June I knew the day was something special, I was just super relaxed and enjoying myself. It was my first flight finally having my O2 system hooked up and I started using it somewhere above 5000 meters. I was trying to get around Tirich Mir (7708m) using the SE ridge, a tactic I hadn't tried before and I was having to get in close to the mountain to try and soar up. Cloudbase was low, 6000 meters and lower out front with some snow early on, base was to rise over 200 meters an hour until eventually got to 7100m later in the day . I could see a stable airmass moving in from the north and had a good idea there would be no overdevelopment. I gave up on getting around Tirich Mir because it was early in the day, I needed a higher base and wasn't feeling patient. There is a route I've been looking at all winter and dreaming of trying, today was to be the day. I turned and flew NE through the high mountains of the Hindukush crossing 3 cols all over 6000 getting some amazing views of glaciers and getting the strongest climb I've ever had near Saraghar mountain. But not to get caught up in numbers and names the point is this, I passed through for a moment, I was no longer separate from my wing, I was not in a hostile enviornment, I was right where I was supposed to be. The flight didn't tire me out at all, I was so relaxed so at peace and wanting it never to end. It did end, I called my sister on my cell to let her know I was landing at the polo ground in Booni, she was able to come out and meet me and it's so damn cool to have her share this with me. It was around 7:30pm I had flown for over 8 and a half hours over one of the most beautiful places on this planet. Just one of those flights you could say!

No comments: